Saturday, September 18, 2010

Recipe, you won't believe it - ENGLISH MUFFINS!!



I experimented with a recipe I found for GFCF english muffins, but they weren't yeast-free (which means the kids couldn't have them) so I tried something different.  I wasn't perfect with this recipe, because I was just experimenting and really didn't expect it to work, silly me!  So in the pictures, you will notice that the tops are a bit puffy (picture below of them cooling on a wire rack), because I didn't smooth them flat, lol.  Unfortunately, they aren't egg-free, but you could use egg-replacer instead of the eggs.

Whisk dry ingredients together
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup potato starch or tapioca starch (arrowroot is not appropriate for the flavor of this recipe)
1/2 cup millet flour
2 teaspoons guar gum or xanthan gum
1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt

In a blender mix the wet ingredients
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup plain hemp milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1/3 cup water kefir grains
4 tablespoons oil
2 tablespons raw honey
2 eggs

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Mix thoroughly. It should be more like a thick muffin batter than a bread dough.  
Spoon the batter into 8 english muffin tins, which works out to about 3-4 tablespoons each, then smooth them over with a wet finger.  You will see from my picture below, that I don't have english muffin tins, so I folded aluminum foil into strips about 1-2 inches tall (again, I was not precise with this either, lol) and then used a round container about the size of english muffins to make them perfectly round.  Place these on a silpat liner or parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. 







No comments: