Monday, July 25, 2011

A review of camel milk chocolate!

What is it about knowing that you can't have something, that makes us want it more?  I never liked chocolate, that is until my nursing baby couldn't tolerate dairy and I had to completely avoid milk chocolate.  Then even after he was done nursing and I tried to reintroduce dairy back into my diet....there was no way my body was having it.  Yup, it was then the chocolate cravings began.  I began searching for the perfect chocolate, my husband even spent big bucks buying specialty chocolates online to appease my new desire.  To my dismay, all of these chocolates contained unhealthy ingredients like soy and hydrogenated oils.  Then when I learned that I had hypothyroidism, gluten and soy were also out the window, along with any last shred of hope that I would ever enjoy a tasty chocolate again.

In my quest for information about camel milk, I learned about camel milk chocolate.  Cool, but I didn't really think I could get it here in the States, because the company that makes it is in Dubai, UAE.  Then I met Nancy and Gil Reigler of Oasis Camel Dairy through our Facebook page on Healing with Camel Milk.  They actually sell this very chocolate in the United States!!  Mr. Gil Reigler generously sent me a bar to try!!


The package arrived this afternoon, but I knew that if I wanted to sit and thoroughly enjoy this luxurious candy bar, I would need to wait until the kids were in bed.  Patience.....

Now, here I sit with my candy bar.  The dishes are washed, kids in bed and it's just me, the candy bar and the silence.  It smells like milk chocolate, mmmmmm.  Wow, it's smooth and creamy, very rich tasting!!  YUM!!  Uh oh, I like it a bit too much.  I might eat this whole bar, no wait....I need to save some for my dairy-free sweets-loving husband to try and he's not here, darn!  I would be evil not to.  All joking aside, this chocolate bar conjures up memories of rich, velvety Swiss chocolate, good quality chocolate and not a hint of cow's milk to speak of, totally and completely cow-casein-free!!  The ingredients are very simple: sugar, cocoa butter, whole camel milk powder, cocoa mass, honey, and bourbon vanilla.  That's it!  No soy, no gluten, no cow's milk!

So I've eaten three of the five strips already and am contemplating one more, is that greedy?  I haven't had chocolate like this in YEARS, heck, I am going for it, one more strip....

2 comments:

Robert Weener said...

Just wait until you taste the other varieties: Macademia nut and orange peel (as long as you don't have a nut allergy), dates, dark chocolate, and my favorite Arabia with cardamom.

Jessica said...

I can't wait!! My husband is going to have to make the Reigler's site his new favorite place, hahahaha!